Delivering Cross-Platform Solutions (was RE: [OT] - REALBasic Claims 100K Users)

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Thu Oct 5 11:33:09 EDT 2006

> By that measure, RB is vastly more popular than RunRev. It
> has four books published, quite a few magazine articles and a
> healthy number of Web sites devoted to teaching it and
> providing sample and reusable code (classes) for it.

A combination of thrust and timing also help. There really wasnt a good RAD
BASIC on the Mac when it appeared - and really there isnt one now. There is
FutureBasic which has been around a very long time, but its approach is less
RAD and more like "Codewarrior BASIC".

And all of these things didn't magically happen overnight. In fact, there
were books out on REALbasic in Japan well before the O'Reilly book (which
hasn't been updated and likely will not be - Matt N. has moved on to xCode).

I sell Revolution (had years of experience selling RB as well as hundreds of
software products outside of the developer space - and still do!) but
recognize that solution providers need a toolbox, not just one tool. There
are lots of Rev users who also use REALbasic or Director.

On the other hand, we all serve the "multi-platform delivery space" - while
we all serve Thanksgiving dinner, the ingredients, recipes and processes are
all radically different. If your affirmed goal is to learn object-oriented
BASIC, Revolution isnt going to be the tool for you. If you need to deliver
a solution into that space, well, that's where the discussion gets
interesting :-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Worldwide Business Operations