How to start this project...

Adrian Williams adrian at clubtype.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 11:09:41 EDT 2006

Jim,
Thanks for your words of encouragement...

On 5 Oct 2006, at 15:40, Jim Ault wrote:

> Event looping and interactions with users has been discussed many
> times on
> the list over the years.  You should try searching for words like
> 'keyboard', 'trap', 'rawkeydown' 'focus'  'Mac vs Windows vs Linux'
> and read
> through the many techniques (and limitations)
I've researched all these and understand the concept, but it seems many,
many actions must be stitched together to provide seamless functioning.

> Don't rule out the use of a 'dialog box' to limit user interactivity,
> if
> that can fit into your scheme.  This option could provide event/message
> simplicity you need.
I'd want to avoid that at all costs (at the moment).

> Also, study the way messages work in Rev.  There may be messages sent
> by Rev
> that will surprise you, but they will be one of the keys to harnessing
> user
> actions. (closefield, enterinfield, keydown, rawkeydown, selection,
> etc)
>
> There may be some example stacks that show these interactions and you
> can
> see some of the gotchas and limitations.
I've scoured archives for relevant examples - none describes suitably.

> This is not an area I spend any time working on, since all of my apps
> are
> for me, or quite simplistic.
Many thanks again.
Adrian