Long Filename for Stackfile Breaks Save?

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue Oct 3 03:35:52 EDT 2006

Hi Swami,

It's an OS limitation since a very long time: always limit stack
names to 31 chars extension included.
You may open a file the name of which is longer if you rename it
later in the finder (with some problems you know about filenames used
in players with Rev prior to 2.7.3?? > I don't remember exactly when
this has been fixed) but you can't save it.
BTW naming a stack with a very long name is a method to avoid it
saved on Mac OS X ;-)

save stack SkipChars(the short name of this stack,31,".rev") --

function SkipChars pString,pNumOfChars,pExt
   if length(pString) > (pNumOfChars - length(pExt)) then return char
1 to ( pNumOfChars - length(pExt)) of pString
   return pString
end SkipChars

Le 3 oct. 06 à 04:44, Sivakatirswami a écrit :

> I got badly burned today with a stack where I added some characters
> to the file such that it became longer than 32 chars on Mac OSX...
<snip>
> Later appears that after quitting the stack, nothing was saved at
> all! We noted on the finder a temp file
> TAKA-talks-manager_Oc$5#45.rev
> where the temp file that Rev creates on the fly had a "greeked"
> file name.
<snip>
> Is this a known bug?
>
> Sivakatirswami