Rev 2.7.4 questions about building standalones

Stgoldberg at aol.com Stgoldberg at aol.com
Sun Oct 1 08:48:14 EDT 2006

I just upgraded from Rev 2.7.1 to 2.7.4 and am impressed by the ability to
build for so many Macs, including Intels, but am a bit confused by the wealth of
On the Standalone settings, one is given the options to build for
a. Mac OS (Classic, for which there is a notation, "Build for Mac OS Classic
will be available in 2.7.x")
b.   Mac OSX (Universal)
c.   Mac OSX (Power PC only)
d. Mac OSX (Intel only)
e.   Windows

Once   the application is built, the folders have the titles:
a.   Mac OSX (which I assume refers to Universal)
b.   Mac OSX PowerPC-32 (which I assume refers to Power PC only)
c.   Mac OSX   x86-32 (which I assume refers to Intel only, since I do not
have an Intel Mac and it won't open on my computer)
d.   Windows

My question is this.   If the Universal version will work both on Intel Mac
computers as well as non-Intel Mac OS X computers, what would be the advantage
of including the "Power PC only" or "Intel only" versions when distributing
one's application, since the Universal version would seem to work on both kinds
of computers?   While one could   just take a shotgun approach and distribute
all the versions, it would take up less CD space to include only those that
are necessary.   So perhaps one could just distribute the Universal version (not
the Power PC only or Intel only versions) since it would work on Power PC and
Intel Macs; or one could distribute just the Power PC only   and Intel only
versions, without including the Universal version. Is it necessary to include
all the options when distributing a built application? Perhaps someone can
enlighten me further on this. Thanks.
Steve Goldberg