Copies of your app running on the local net

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Mon May 29 13:53:04 EDT 2006

Hello,

Of course, if there is a firewall in place, it might render any check
for copies of the software on the network useless. There are
utilities such as LittleSnitch to prevent programmes from contacting
the network and the internet. That's why I wrote that there is a hack
for each protection measure  --there really is. The question is how
much you want to invest in protection and how much others want to do
to override this protection.

Currently, I have 5 computers that I use each day (just counted), all
with a different setup and different user names and passwords. Having
5 different licenses for each application I am buying means that my
database for license keys would grow very quickly. It would become
increasingly complex to do maintenance on the systems I'm using.

If you want me to run the software on only one computer, you really
don't want to give me more than one user name. This is contradictory
with your suggestion to provide users with an easy way to get a new
license key when they want to change their user name.

Suppose that you want to accommodate for the possibility to change
user names. You would have to supply new license codes all the time.
This doesn't only undermine the protective power of your licensing
scheme, it also increases the danger of old license codes being lost
and found by opportunists. Additionally, it demands an increasingly
large amount of resources from your support department, due to the
complexity of your license scheme.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 29-mei-2006, om 18:25 heeft Paul Claude het volgende geschreven: