Linux installation

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 28 22:35:16 EDT 2006

Ken Ray wrote:
>>   dtFolder=DesktopFolder
>>   aSupFolder = ApplicationSupportFolder
>>   prefsFolder = PreferencesFolder
>
> BTW, the RB Help has some clues as to where *it* thinks these folders
> are/should be in Linux (substitute "folder path" wherever you see FolderItem
> below):
>
> DesktopFolder tries to return the desktop folder for the current user's
> Window Manager. If there is a folder named "Desktop", it will return a
> FolderItem to that. Otherwise, if there is a folder in the current user's
> home directory named ".gnome-desktop", it will return a FolderItem to that.
>
> ApplicationSupportFolder returns a FolderItem for the Home directory for the
> logged in user, /home/username/. Typically, when an application wants to
> create an application support file, it will create a folder in the Home
> directory corresponding to the application's name. For example, for MyApp,
> it will use the path: "/home/username/MyApp/".
>
> PreferencesFolder returns a reference to the current user's Home directory,
> /Home/username.

I know almost nothing about the 'nixes, but it seems to me that a script
could calculate most of these using the globals that are automatically
loaded when Rev starts up. All (or many? Not sure) of the standards are
there and can be used in any script; i.e., $USR, $HOME, $PATH, etc.
Maybe these can be used to calculate the necessary paths?

For example: $USER/Desktop/
Or: $HOME/.MyApp/

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com