Linux installation

Rishi Viner rishi at puredata.com.au
Sun May 28 21:11:42 EDT 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 06:34 am, Bob Warren wrote:
> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
> Thanks Bob.  While I'm sure RunRev will be interested in catching up
> with RB's well thought-out suite of folder paths, I'm not sure how long
> I can hold my breath waiting for Linux-related stuff in Bugzilla (I'm
> already in my 40s <g>) -- do you know of shell calls to get those paths?
>
> I don't need system or some of the others, just DesktopFolder,
> PreferencesFolder, and maybe ApplicationsSupportFolder.

> Richard:
>
> I don't know of any shell calls that can be made through Linux, but they
> must exist I imagine. Perhaps one of the Linux wizards out there can help.

"~" will find the users home folder. For example making a directory like this:
"mkdir ~/MyApp" will make the folder "/home/<username>/MyApp".

So to place something on the users desktop, you would put it in "~/Desktop/"
(note case sensitive!). This is the same on every Linux distro that I use
(RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo).

User specific preferences for an application would usually go in "~/.MyApp",
which may be a file or a folder... Global preferences would go in the
application folder, but I'm not sure if you will always have permissions to
write to this? Not sure here.

HTH

--
Rishi Viner