Now a TCP Question

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat May 27 04:38:05 EDT 2006

Thanks go out to Alex Tweedly, as he kindly and generously invited me to
phone him about this complex issue.  We had a very good in-depth
conversation about the limitations of this TCP server in this instance.

Rather than try to troubleshoot that setup on the server end (since I have
no control over it), Alex concluded that using the UDP protocol would be the
best route.

Friday afternoon I installed rev 2.7.1 build 236 and tried running the stack
Alex had written (UDP echo server that listens for packets), and encountered
a crash within a one second of starting.

HOWEVER, if I compiled the stack and ran the app, it seemed to work fine.
This test was very short, and on Sat I will do a full-day test that will
include writing only the incoming messages I need to a series of text files.

I am optimistic that I can not only get the UDP server app to run all day,
but handle the influx of several messages in one tick (1/60th of a second).
Alex says that a rate of 100-150 packets per second is not a very high rate
for UDP, so the operating system should be able to buffer all packets and
the Rev app will keep up.

An additional advantage for me is that the stream of packets is mostly done
in a burst, rather than a steady rate.  OSX buffering should be able to do
the job.

A future advantage is that when a binary version of Rev is available, the
Duo Mini will be even faster.

If anyone is interested, I can post a report here, otherwise I will not
waste the list bandwidth in this niche application of Rev.

The power and flexibility of Revolution has not ceased to amaze me.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas