The ssl library again

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri May 26 15:01:01 EDT 2006

On 26 May 2006, at 16:19, Dar Scott wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 7:32 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:
>
>>> It seems the secure socket is being opened OK (at least the Rev
>>> engine thinks so), and the timeouts are occurring on the first
>>> read immediately after writing the request.
>>
>> On further checking, it seems the first write to the socket
>> (writing the request headers) is timing out. Also happening on OS
>> X 10.3.9.
>
> Is this with cert checking both on and off?

Yes. The behavior is the same with both.

Mark also mentioned "every other attempt". I thought this indicated a
pattern or sorts. With the url Mark supplied, it keeps the connection
open, so libUrl will re-use the open connection. And generally, it is
when re-using the open connection that things timeout. However, I see
enough exceptions to think that this is not significant. Also, with
other URLs that always close the connection, I get a similar rate of
timeout failures.

The significance of the timeout on the first write to the socket (as
opposed to the first read after the first write) is that I don't have
much to play with in libUrl, such as adding a few waits here and
there. I think this will have to go to the engine people.

Cheers
Dave