S-L-O-W text entry

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed May 24 14:17:58 EDT 2006

>*The only time I get slow text entry in the Rev Script Editor is on lines
>that contain A LOT of text - 256 chars or more - I don't use line wrap. But
>this is ONLY on that line. Any other 'normal' line is fine.

That's main the situation where I get it. Fields in some of my stacks
contain thousands of characters. That's probably a somewhat unusual
use of RR, which might be why it's not often seen.

I also sometimes get it with scripts that contain 50,000 characters
or more. Typically, this would be a stack or background script with
many handlers.

If I understand correctly, RR uses OS X's native text editor for both
fields and scripts. I suspect OS X's native text editor is inherently
slow, on slower machines. I believe I've seen the same phenomenon in
textEdit for example.

My text smoothing has been turned off for 8 point and smaller. Maybe
I should increase that to 10?

On the other hand, I'm usually using 11 point or larger, so it
probably wouldn't have made any difference.

>Sorry I could't be of more help:-|
>
>P.S. Oh, and Tim mentioned OWC, which coincidently were just mentioned on my
>local MUG forum. I give them two thumbs up, as did all the other posters.

I can't say enough about Otherworld Computing. By making it possible
to keep old machines usable, with incremental upgrades, they've saved
me many thousands of dollars over the years. Their products always
seem to work right, and you can't beat their support.

Tim