newbie q about revolution

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Mon May 22 22:34:23 EDT 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 9:52 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:

> Revolution seems to be my solution for writing business apps.  I am
> a business
> person, not a professional programmer, but I create all of my
> internal apps,
> currently in Foxpro/DOS.  A couple of questions:
>
> The description says the program creates "stand alone"
> executables.  To me
> this means no "run time", no "token compiling", but it may mean
> external
> libraries.  Is this true?
>
> How big is "Hello World", meaning how much baggage (code bloat) is
> included in
> the executable?

A basic app will zip down to 1 MB, slightly less for WinXP

(example here: http://www.dvcreators.net/qt-movie-notetaker/)

> Does revolution lend itself to creating  simple applications quickly?
> Example, I can create a simple name/address database application in
> Foxpro/DOS with menu, add, edit, search, select index, etc. in
> about 1 hour
> including creating the database structure.
>
> Is a database application, without multimedia features a good use
> of this
> product?

I am working on a couple data-intensive multiuser apps in Rev. I
started database programming in Borland Paradox/DOS in the 80's, I've
also used FoxPro, 4D and FileMaker, but I am pretty new to Rev, on
and off learning over the last few months mostly. Over the last
weekend I've written a bunch of handlers that serve as a library for
storing and retrieving data from a remote MySQL database and I am no
longer struggling, but finally coding very efficiently and really
happy with Rev for a database front end.

I would say it is not as fast as FoxPro/FileMaker to create a simple
local single user solution. However, once it comes time to deploy a
solution, especially a multiuser one, my evaluation so far is that
Rev is the faster, more flexible and powerful tool.

> Are there any hidden problems that are not discussed in the web/
> faq, etc.,
> like "copy protection" methods that require dongles, keeping the
> licensed
> program on the computer/lan that the compiled application is
> running on, etc.

We have sold thousands of copies of an application distributed on DVD-
ROM (programmed by the great Richard Gaskin) with ZERO problems. Not
even a single user saying the video was skipping, or the app crashed.
This is an OS X only app, but our customers have every kind of Mac
imaginable, from latest and greatest to old laptops and desktops.

We had so many Director problems this was a welcome change!