images in cross-platform stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 17 10:56:41 EDT 2006

Martin Baxter wrote:
> Does it not also have to do with being able to discern subtleties of
> shadow detail on-screen? Uncorrected CRT Gamma (as per Win / Nix /
> Television) gives a very non-linear display and tends to compress the
> bottom 20% to black.

It's a tradeoff:  the Apple gamma may give more detail among darker
colors, but at the loss of detail among lighter ones.  The default gamma
for Macs is so light that the whole thing looks washed out to me; the
first thing I do when I get a new Mac is make it readable by increasing
the gamma.

We can't rule out the possibility that the entire world outside of 1
Infinite Loop may not be wrong.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal