sample rates in audio

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed May 17 02:14:14 EDT 2006

Oh my... now wonder it is so confusing... "recordSampleSize" is NOT
the sample rate...

On May 16, 2006, at 3:15 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> I don't know how rev would store an 11 bit wide word without waste.
> Computers store info in their nice 8-wide world. It comes down to
> parts and sanity. There are packing methods to do this - is that's
> what's happening here?
>
> Try a test. See if there is no difference in file size between
> using 11 bit and 16 bit wide for  RecordSampleSize

Confirmed, you are so right...

on recordSound
   set the recordsamplesize to 11
   set the recordrate  to 5
   set the recordformat to "wave"
   record sound file gAudioTestPath
end recordSound

12 secs --> 184K

open in QT Pro, get movie props... it shows 16 bit, 8 khz

on recordSound
   set the recordsamplesize to 16
   set the recordrate  to 8
   set the recordformat to "wave"