images in cross-platform stacks

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed May 17 00:36:20 EDT 2006

Recently, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Rev doesn't alter the display of JPEGs or GIFs -- why single out PNGs in
> this way, and why try to adjust for screen gamma when the screen is
> already doing anything that needs to be done there?

I don't have the document links I used to, but suffice it to say, in the
attempt to be consistent across platforms and displays, the display of PNG
images is inconsistent by their nature, and this has been documented.  Rev
isn't doing anything to alter the display of PNGs (as far as I know).  In
fact, it may not be doing enough to take advantage of gamma information
stored in the file format, but again, the problem occurs in other apps, not
just Rev (even in Photoshop CS1, not sure about CS2).

The workarounds are:

- if possible, make the background of the PNG transparent so that it can sit
seamlessly on whatever is behind it

- if you have a a solid color background in your PNG that must match another
non-PNG color, you can try modifying the solid color by a few degrees in the
PNG, or in the object to which the PNG must match

- as Phil suggested, use a different format: JPEG or GIF

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design