QT path issues

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 16 14:29:58 EDT 2006

Chris Sheffield wrote:
> On May 15, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> I have a path to a move file which plays well, until I insert a "ƒ"
>> character (Option-F on Mac) into one of the folder names -- then I
>> get a "can't create movie reference" error.
>>
>> I'm already using the "file:" trick to set the file path -- here's
>> the code:
>>
>>   put "file://"&pMovieFile into tPath
>>   replace space with "%20" in tPath
>>   set the fileName of player "QT" to tPath
>>
>> What else can I do to account for such anomalies in the path?
>
> Would a urlEncode on the path make any difference? I see you're
> specifically replacing spaces with "%20", but maybe running it
> through urlEncode would fix this other character. Just a guess.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd tried that. The urlEncode function
turns spaces into "+", and apparently QT prefers "%20".

The "ƒ" character in the path doesn't work even when passed through
urlEncode, even accounting for the "+".  The same method without the "ƒ"
works.

Phil suggested using SMIL; unfortunately that's no an option for this
app, I need to be able to play the files directly.

QT Player has no trouble opening the file regardless of what the path
look like -- why does Rev?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal