More cross-platform info needed - Text-to-Speech

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 06:16:51 EDT 2006

As far as I understand revSpeak leverages an operating system's built-in text-to-speech capabilities. Now my experience in this respect is limited to Mac & Win: both of which feature really bad voices - the Mac ones have been trotted out with each version of the operating system for at least 10 years never beeing upgraded; they all sound seriously warped. Win XP comes with one installed.

So far text-to-speech for Linux looks a bit shaky:

http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/

However, seeing the way things are going, I expect the Linux world to rapidly pull ahead of the proprietary software crowd fairly rapidly.

The real problem (from my point of view) is that a developer cannot automatically assume that an end-user will have text-to-speech installed and configured.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson