More cross-platform info needed - menus

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun May 14 18:51:42 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I usually have the luxury of being completely Mac, but now I have an
application that has to be Mac, Windows & Linux, so you can expect a
few stupid questions while I struggle with this. Today's question is
about menus and what to call things.

Mac users expect a "Quit" with the shortcut Command-Q.
I think I am correct in thinking that Windows users expect "Exit". The
only shortcut seems to be Alt-F4. Is this a system thing or do I have
to trap the function keys and check for this?
What is the Linux quitting command called and what is it's shortcut?.

Preferences: Mac users use "Preferences", Windows programs seem to
have lots of different terms for this. Is there a preferred standard
or can I just use Preferences for both Mac & Windows? What do Linux
people expect this to be called?

One more question: what is a good Linux distribution to use for testing?

Thanks,
Sarah