Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

J. Scott Saults saultsj at missouri.edu
Wed May 10 20:57:49 EDT 2006

Maybe late and off-topic - so I apologize (and do NOT mean to start a
discussion here about this) - but just thought Alex might want to know that
it is possible, with some iPods, to just drag and drop mp3 files (and Ogg
Vorbis, Musepack, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AC3 and WavPack) on your player and play
them. And you can use (some) iPods as a standard UMS device, without
iTunes, but not with the stock firmware. Look into 'rockbox':
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox (Maybe iPodLinux,
too, but don't know much about that)