Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed May 10 19:41:39 EDT 2006

I'm not sure why this surprises either of you.  Items copied to one's
HD but not loaded into iTunes won't play in iTunes.  Likewise items
copied to the iPod's HD as data won't play on the iPod. To play on
the iPod they need to be loaded onto it from iTunes on your computer--
which then allows the iPod's software to recognize them as music
rather than data.

 >>>you can copy files to an iPod being used as an external disk, but
can't then play them as tunes.

All you need to do in this case is to ALSO load them onto the iPod
using iTunes--so that the iPod's software recognizes them as music
not a data file.

Am I making any sense?  If so, then forget the rest.

Picture the following scenario:
I have an unprotected mp3 file. I copy it as DATA to my iPod's HD. It
doesn't play on the iPod because it got there as DATA not as a music
file recognizable to the iPod.  If I merely load that same file off
the iPod into iTunes and put it back onto the iPod as
MUSIC, :::poof::: the iPod recognizes it as music.  At this point the
file is on the iPod in two different forms:  one on the HD as a data
file and one in music form recognizable by the iPod.  Does this make
sense?

As for the DRM issue, picture a similar scenario:  Suppose I have a
protected file from iTMS.  If I Finder copy that file to the iPod's
HD it will not play--the iPod will see it as data. But if I load it
onto the iPod using iTunes, it will be music and recognizable as such
on the iPod.  If I take the data file and load it from the iPod into
iTunes on a different Mac (or a Windows PC), it will play there too--
so long as I have not exceeded the number of computer activations
allowed for this file by iTunes.

I think you are allowed 5 computer authorizations for each iTunes
Music Store account. Each of these computers can transfer music to an
unlimited number of iPods.