Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 15:10:36 EDT 2006

Uh, Alex, the info is actually right there on the website and
(mirabile dictu!) right there in the manual--which Mac users are, of
course, notorious unlikely to do.

The following is a direct quote from the iPod Nano user's manual (aka
Features Guide) which I found on Apple's support website under the
Manuals tab.

Using iPod nano as an External Disk
You can use iPod nano as an external disk to store and download data
files.
Note:  To download music and other audio files to iPod nano, you must
use iTunes. For
example, you won’t see songs you download with iTunes in the
Macintosh Finder or in
Windows Explorer. Likewise, if you copy music files to iPod nano in
the Macintosh
Finder or Windows Explorer, you won’t be able to play them on iPod nano.
To enable iPod nano as an external disk:
1 In iTunes, select iPod nano in the Source list and click the
Options button.
2 Click Music and select “Enable disk use.”
When you use iPod nano as an external disk, the iPod nano disk icon
appears on the
desktop on the Mac, or as the next available drive letter in Windows
Explorer on a
Windows PC.
Note:  Clicking Music and selecting “Manually manage songs and
playlists” in the
Options window also enables iPod nano to be used as an external disk.
Drag files to
and from iPod nano to copy them.
Options button

If you use iPod nano primarily as a disk, you might want to keep
iTunes from opening
automatically when you connect iPod nano to your computer.
To prevent iTunes from opening automatically when you connect iPod
nano to your
computer:
1 In iTunes, select iPod nano in the Source list and click the
Options button.
2 Click Music and deselect “Open iTunes when this iPod is attached.”
Options button