[OT] Routerless Network?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue May 9 18:33:21 EDT 2006

Recently, David Vaughan wrote:

> Take all the replies and wherever you see a negative comment ("need
> crossover cable" which costs $millions", "can not network whatever")
> cross it out.

Heh, thanks David.  No worries -- I'm not thrown by "negative" comments;
I've learned to wait for a few responses from the list as there's a lot of
knowledge/talent here.

In fact, I found this document which made me pretty hopeful:
http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/302#thread

But it's not working for me.  I'm connecting a Mac laptop to a Win desktop,
and while the Win box does indeed report an error if I assign the same IP
address to each system, neither system seems able to "see" the other with
unique IDs (Chris Bohnert mentioned pinging the Mac system from Windows to
check the connection and all I get is a series of timeouts).

So I may just have to break down and go for a wireless card.  I may play
around with it some more but am not sure what else to try.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and for putting up with the OT.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design