A Dream!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun May 7 20:50:40 EDT 2006

Roman D wrote:
> Has anyone has come across the idea of making an Operating System
> based on the Runtime Revolution Engine.
> For example, the OS core would be Linux/Unix (or Darvin, as the case
> is with Mac OS X) and Revolution will provide a windowing system plus
> all it's power and glory.
>
> (I am coming from Windows world, so I feel the need for freedom)

Mac folks sometimes feel the same need. :)

In many respect, Rev already is a form of operating system, or more
specifically a virtual machine.

But a true operating system may be a bit much for Rev, given the range
of low-level things an OS is expected to take care of (handling the file
system, connecting to devices, etc.).

However, making a custom window manager, as a simplified replacement for
the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer, is quite doable.  I fact, there were
dozens of these for Max OS made with HyperCard back in the day.

There may even be a market for such a goodie for Linux, something to
provide a simplified user experience for folks with more focused needs
than the complex window managers currently provide....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal