How to manage large SQL data sets

mfstuart at cox.net mfstuart at cox.net
Fri May 5 11:33:57 EDT 2006

Hi all,

How do I manage in Studio 2.7.1, large sets of SQL data?

I have over half a million records in a MySQL table (just name, address, and phone number), and plan on building an application in Studio to access this data. But so far, I've not been able to get past Studio hanging/freezing when applying the following SQL statement: "SELECT * FROM names ORDER BY LastName, FirstName".
With that, I'm assuming Studio is trying to load ALL the data from the statement into memory. If that's true, it doesn't seem really possible to handle larger record sets.

Am I missing something here, or is there a better way?
And how should the Transcript be written?

TIA,
Mark Stuart