Sort-of OT: Learning Python

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Thu May 4 20:30:52 EDT 2006

Those of you who know me know that I am always fascinated by
different programming languages. I've programmed in more than a few,
but read up on dozens. Lately I've been taking a stab at Python.

I'm keeping track of progress at http://learningpython.wordpress.com/

So far it's mostly gripes and rants ;-)

The reason I say sort-of off topic is that I'm making no secret of
the fact that I come from a Revolution background. The latest post
compares the out-of-the-box experience between Rev and a Python IDE.
In Rev, installation and building a standalone application takes 16
steps, including retrieving and entering the demo license code. In
Python, after 10 steps I have downloaded nothing, installed nothing,
and built nothing, have gone down a blind alley or two, and have more
questions than I started with.

When I get past the install and start describing actually programming
in Python, it should be better.

In any case, feel free to have a look and post feedback, even if it's
just to point out where I went wrong in the Python install process ;-)

regards,

Geoff