Projection Question

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 06:20:00 EST 2006

OK, multiple monitor basics:

Mirroring
In mirroring mode, what you see on the second monitor (in this case a
projector) will be identical to what you see on your laptop. This is
what most people use when plugging in a projector, in some cases
becuase their hardware can't do anything else. In this mode there
will be NO way to send anything different to the projector.

Extended Desktop (may be called something else on Windows)
This is not available on all computers, especially lower-end laptops.
Instead of just duplicating what is on the laptop screen on to the
second monitor, it is treated as extra space in addition to the
laptop screen. Individual windows can simply be dragged across from
one screen to the next,. The virtual position of the screens can be
altered - side-by-side, one above the other (dragging a window off
the bottom of screen A brings it onto the top of screen B) etc.

If the graphics card in your laptop supports this then you are in
luck - simply have two (or more) stacks, with one positioned on the
second monitor/projector, with what appears on it controlled from
your 'control' stack that you keep back on the laptop screen. This is
effectively the way that most better presentation apps work, such as
PowerPoint or Keynote - controls/info on a screen that the audience
can't see, the actual presentation on the projector.

Ian