Navigating through added XML data?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Thu Mar 30 13:01:27 EST 2006

Thanks Sarah and Peter!

Also Sarah's tutorial has been very helpful. I have never done anything with XML, or arrays for that matter, so it's still a lot of trial and error. It's kind of strange how you can stare at something for a couple hours, go away for a while, come back to it, and then BING, the solution just kind of jumps out at you.

What was messing me up was I was looking at the text of an xml file, and seeing it formatted correctly lead me to believe that the XML was good. When I started dumping out the XML after I added a new attribute and child nodes, I noticed I was not getting things right. Essentially, not getting the paths correct in the XML file for the new attribute and subsequent new child nodes.

Here is what finally worked for me:

 put cd fld "XMLID" into theTargetXML

  put revXMLNumberOfChildren(cd fld "XMLID","URL_Table",,-1) into numberOfNodes
  put (numberOfNodes div 10)into theNewNode
  add 1 to TheNewNode

  RevAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"URL_Table/","URL",""

  revSetXMLAttribute theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL"&"[" & theNewNode &"]","IDnum",theNewNode

  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","subject","Art"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","key_words","Fine Art"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","Grade","5"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","Standard","Creativity"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","Title","Art in the Classroom"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","Description","Will this work for Art"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","Submitted_by","John Art"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","emailAddress","art at mail.com"
  revAddXMLNode theTargetXML,"/URL_Table/URL" &"[" & theNewNode &"]","school","Orchard School"

This seems to work correctly, however i do notice in the XML file the new attribute has all the content after it in addition to the nodes that have it individually. Not sure why it's doing that?

However, navigating through the attributes and associated nodes is not a big deal because I'm only using the first part of the attribute (i.e.1,2, 3..) when determining which group of nodes to display.

I'm sure there there are a lot more sophisticated ways to do what I'm trying to do, but at least I continue to be successful! :-)

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD

Message: 23