changing btn names at the stack level?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 15:19:33 EST 2006

Two questions before the renaming...

Why would you name buttons as a numeral, since this will confuse the
references to the buttons?

button 1 is not the same as button "1"

Why would you name the buttons the same name (either numeral or other),
which would make referencing even more problematic?

Try this example, by pasting it into the stack script, then typing "test"
into the msg box, then hit enter
------------------------------------
on test
  --this will set the custom property of each button to 1 or 0
  --you can use any legal name you want for customInteger

  put "" into ouput
  repeat with x = 1 to the number of controls
    if the name of control x contains "button" then
      if the label of control x is "YES" then
        set the customInteger of control x to 1
      else if the label of control x is "NO" then
        set the customInteger of control x to 0
      end if
      put the label of control x && \
          the customInteger of control x into line x of output
    end if
  end repeat
  answer "You have been obeyed" &cr & output
end test

Jim Ault
Las Vegas