Avoiding line cut-off in a multipage printout

André.Bisseret Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr
Tue Mar 28 15:30:26 EST 2006

Le Tuesday, 28 Mar 2006, à 16:25 Europe/Paris, Graham Samuel a écrit :

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:22:25 +0200, André Bisseret
> <Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr> wrote:
>
> [Some very valuable stuff about the problem of multipage printing of
> text]
>
> André - this is just a preliminary 'thank you' for taking the trouble
> to send your script and to comment on it. My French is not quite at
> zero-level, but it needs all the help it can get! Anyway I am studying
> your solution and I may ask you some questions about it later on. I am
> interested in your 'orphan line' solution - this term is also used in
> English by the way (we also have 'widowed' lines - lignes veuves?? -
> which is the line before the orphan one,  left on the previous > page...)
You are right ; a "widowed line" ( "ligne veuve" or "une veuve") is
isolated at the end of a page ; while an orphan line (ligne orpheline)
is isolated at the top of a page.
So, I was wrong in my preceding post : the problem I was speaking about
(and the corresponding script) relates to "the widowed lines", not the
orphan lines.

Best regards
André