Corrupted Stacks

Iden Rosenthal iden at idenrosenthal.com
Sun Mar 26 23:26:14 EST 2006

I just started using Dreamcard (how nice to be back with xtalk after
all these years) but after I did some work on some stacks I went back
to work on them again and it told me when I tried to open a substack
that the stack was corrupted. This was a shocker. I don't really
trust Dreamcard when I try to save files over the older versions it
seems to work. But then if I try and open what I have saved it tell
me there is already something with that name open and do I want to
Purge or Save or some such nonsense. It really isn't very intuitive.
Applications should just destroy the files that you save over the
names of with a different version. I don't get why Dreamcard seems to
be a nudge about there having been a previous file that I thought I
had done away with but somehow I didn't. Fortunately I did have my
work saved elsewhere in a copy of a stack I had been working on that
was not corrupted but it wasn't because I tried to make a backup out
of it -- it was only because I am working on a large series of stacks
that are all copies of each other basically (differing only in their
info content). I think I would have been quite upset if Dreamcard had
told me to look for a backup of my work (which it does when a stack
corrupted message appears) but it doesn't automatically create
backups and by chance I didn't have one. Is there some way I can
avoid this in future other than always having two or three backups
saved?