Enter vs Return

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 25 12:21:45 EST 2006

Paul wrote:
> Everyone,
> Isn't the current behavior of Enter (doing a return) wrong?
> If I am the only one who thinks so, I'll work around it with Mark's
> cure. Otherwise I'll bugzilla it (thought it had been entered in
> Bugzilla already).

I don't believe the behavior's changed, and it's easy enough to have any
other behavior you want.

But unfortunately if you want to ever support the other 90+% who use
Windows, you will only confuse them if you have different behaviors for
Enter and Return:

It seems everyone who designs PC keyboards are all under 25 years of
age, having never seen nor heard of a typewriter, which would explain
why they exhibit no understanding of the origin of the Return key on
their keyboards:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user/73566/match=typewriter>

PS: Oddly enough, while I can find that post easily on GMane and Nabble,
searching for "typewriter" in the Rev list archives comes up empty.

Not to RunRev: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add your own search on your
archives.  Outside services like Google have no obligation to index all
of your content, and many searches with it produce incomplete results.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation