running a process in the background

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:10:25 EST 2006

How is this done, or can it be done?  Or maybe this isn't even the
right question.

Here's what I'm trying to do.  I have a handler that generates a set
of reports for my application.  That handler can take a while to
process if there is a lot of data to work with.  So what I'm trying
to do is display a modal dialog that basically just says "Please
wait" while the reports are generated.  The "Please wait" dialog also
has the little chasing arrows animated gif and a Cancel button to
stop the process if necessary.

Here's what's happening.  The dialog displays just fine, and the
reports are generated just fine.  But while the work is being done,
the dialog does not respond in any way.  The chasing arrows do not
move and I can't click on the Cancel button.  Is there any way around
this?  The dialog is a substack of the stack that creates the
reports.  In the openCard handler of the first, and only, card of the
substack, I have a send "DoReports" in time command.  And that's it.
Is there any way to do what I want?  Seems like I've seen it done
before, but can't quite get it working.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Sheffield