Correct Syntax???!!!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 24 14:57:33 EST 2006

David Burgun wrote:
> I see your point, but in practice, using the ISM approach only the
> objects that need to act are called whereas using the other methods
> all fields need to be visited.

Not necessarily.  Properties can also be used to determine whether an
object adopts any specialized behavior. Or the objects can be added to a
list for centralized management.  Or the objects can call to a
centralized routine which implements the actual behavior.

There are many ways to get specialized behavior for objects without
replicating the code that drives the behavior.

When more than one object has a similar behavior, centralizing that
behavior in a common script will often pay big dividends over the life
cycle of a code base.

> I really don't know anything about front or back scripts, and
> to be honest the lack of good documentation has put me off
> looking at them.

I think you'll find the documentation of the message path much enhanced
in v2.7.

This may also be helpful:

Extending the Revolution Message Path:
An introduction to using Libraries, FrontScripts, and BackScripts
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal