FTP and cross platform issues...

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Fri Mar 24 13:24:54 EST 2006

Thanks Mark and Alex!

I was afraid of that :-)

In my environment, school district, by default the MS firewall is turned on. We could provide info to a teacher how to temporarily turn off the firewall. Even if they forgot to turn it back on, they still be covered within the district network. But if they went to the local coffee shop and forgot to turn it on they may be vulnerable.

There are more ways to download a file, however to upload and add to an file on a server(say an XML data file)I'm not too familiar with a strategy that would work to upload the file.

The file would need to be used by multiple clients, however, each one would at times update the data file. I know mySQL db might be a possile solution but that increases the level of difficulty....or at least I think it does, ...who knows after the trouble I had with an ftp upload :-)

Good learning experience though!

Thanks!

Message: 19