somewhat OT : Rev cgi & Safari

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Thu Mar 23 06:18:38 EST 2006

Hi list,

I'm using Rev cgi and have a problem debugging a script :
it's a (rather) complex subscription page to a website, with
a sophisticated form and javascript functions, and on the server
side a cgi with a mySQL connection.
Everything works fine except for 1 version of Safari. The agent
information for that version is :
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/312.8
(KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6

in short, some elements of the HTML form are skipped when the
user clicks the submit button...
And to make things even more difficult (to reproduce and correct
the bug, or find a workaround), this seems to happen only
sporadically; i mean that using that specific version of Safari
doesn't systematically lead to the bug...
so I guess it must be a combination of the form structure, the
javascript code and the data entered in the form...
the tricky thing being that when forms elements are skipped, I
have no idea of what were the data entered by users...

I'm not sure what question I should ask now, coz it's hard to
make any diagnosis without careful checking the whole code...

But does anyone have a clue of which version of Safari it is ?

And could anyone provide some good advice about a methodology
to reproduce and track down the problem ?

Thanks,
JB