Message Box ?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:10:52 EST 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 3:40 PM, thulme wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie reading through Dan Shafer's ebook. My question has to
> do with
> page 273  of the book which states that typing (open file
> "MyToDo.txt") into
> the message box will create a file if none exisits. Nothing gets
> created
> when I do this. All that happens is the line I entered gets
> highlighted. No
> file created and no error message is displayed in the result frame.
> I have
> entered other commands and they work ok. Can anyone (Dan) explain
> what I'm
> doing wrong?

One common reason for this to happen is that you do not have write
permission for the defaultFolder. (It's more of a problem on Unix and
Mac OS X systems.) On startup, the defaultFolder property is always
set to the folder that contains the Revolution application. Not all
users on a system will have write access to that folder. Try changing
the defaultFolder to a folder that you do have write permission for
(I'm assuming OSX here):

set the defaultFolder to /Users/myusername/Desktop/

Then try it again. Chances are it will work this time. If this
doesn't fix it, try switching to the multi-line message box and enter:

openFile "myfile.txt"
put the result

Then hit the enter key. If there is an error 'the result' should
contain information about the error.

HTH

Devin

Devin Asay