Keeping windows together on Windows XP

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Mar 22 17:49:30 EST 2006

On 3/22/06 4:33 PM, "Graham Samuel" <livfoss at mac.com> wrote:

> Is it just me, or is it rather difficult to keep a number of
> different windows (stacks) together on Windows XP without the
> possibility of a window from another application getting in between
> them? For example, I have a mainstack, a couple of palettes, and a
> kind of homegrown backdrop. I can force the palettes to the front,
> the mainstack to the middle and the backdrop to the back, but I can't
> stop for example a Windows Explorer window from getting in between
> the two non-palette stacks. What I would like is to take charge of
> the whole front of the screen while my app is active - is this
> possible? Haven't found anything about it in the RR docs. I know
> about the resumeStack message but I'm not sure if I could use it to
> accomplish what I want.

This is a problem on OS X too, Graham. Unfortunately there isn't a way to do
this without reopening all of your stacks as soon as one gets a resumeStack
message (and that has other unwanted effects - both visual and not).

However you're not alone - this happens with Word, Excel, and a whole host
of other applications that have multiple windows up.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com