Getting started with libraries

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed Mar 22 03:42:28 EST 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:52:22 -0800, Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net> wrote:

[some good advice on the above subject, including]

> I hate to confirm what you don't want to hear; but, yes, it ends up
> being a messy job for the reasons you identified: creating a
> generalized handler from two or more similar handlers in different
> stacks often means changing the scripts in both.  To the extent that
> your common handlers are generic, you might adopt your controls to use
> handlers in existing rev libraries rather than generalizing your
> handlers as well as the scripts of controls that call them.
> Serendipity
> Library <http://wecode.org/serendipity/> includes handlers for data
> validation & formatting, date & time handlers, and list handlers in
> addition to SDB database handlers.
>
> The good news: when you are finished, the efficiency you will gain is
> worth much more than the effort involved.

Well, I suppose that had to be the answer - but I just wanted to
thank you, Rob, for troubling to reply and give me a bit of
encouragement. As soon as my current app is out of the door I will
make a determined effort to library-ize my core routines, which are
mostly to do with the house style decided on by my publisher, so that
apps from different sources give a similar user experience - this
means that it all has to be pretty well homegrown..

Thanks

Graham