Help with Arrays??

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Mar 21 11:02:01 EST 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 11:39 PM, Arthur Urban wrote:

> I don't know what the heck is going on here, but I know it's making
> me a wee bit testy. (I don't like needless local variables, what
> can I say...)
>
> Here's the code that works just fine. Please note that I've
> confirmed the value of x, it is not the problem here. The function
> returns an Array.
>
>    put MyFunc( x ) into theArray
>    DisplayPurchaseLine x, theArray
>
> The following code fails miserably passing empty for theArray
> argument; x is passed in just fine:
>
>    DisplayPurchaseLine x, MyFunc( x )
>
> Why do  I need to put the MyFunc() return value (an array) into a
> local variable first. It clearly makes it out of the function call,
> but cannot then immediately be used as a parameter. Huh?

I think that is just life when dealing with functions that return
arrays.  You can't use the function as a parameter.  I will usually
do something like this:

get MyFunc()
DisplayPurchaseLine x, it

This would be a nice enhancement request to add to Bugzilla.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - http://www.bluemangolearning.com
trevor at bluemangolearning.com