Pass - is it really needed

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 16 21:16:19 EST 2006

Thanks Robert,

I wasn't sure but that was what I was thinking. Your response
verifies that for me and I feel I can keep treating Pass the way I
normally do. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something crucial.

Thanks again,

Tom

On Mar 16, 2006, at 8:57 PM, Robert Brenstein wrote:
>> I am writing a lot of commands and functions for a library and was
>> wondering if the Pass handler name was a necessity? I mean, If I
>> am not using a handler name that is a part of transcript then do I
>> really want the handler to pass after running it? What would be a
>> reason I would.
>> The reason I ask is that when I insert a new command it throws in
>> a pass with that commands name by default. I don't normally use
>> the Pass except when using an On card or other transcript handler.
>>

> The script editor is just trying to be friendly and reduce the
> amount of typing for you. Using pass is your call and depends on
> what you want to achieve.
>
> Normally, you would not pass your own handlers unless you do multi-
> tiered processing; for example, card handler does card-specific
> stuff and passes it further so background handler can do background-
> specific stuff and/or stack can do stack-wide stuff. The situation
> with standard messages is a tad different. Here, you would usually
> pass the call unless you want to terminate processing; for example,
> having openStack on card level without pass will prevent the
> openStack handler in the stack script from executing.

Thomas J McGrath III
3mcgrath at adelphia.net

Lazy River Software™ - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com

Lazy River Metal Art™ - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com/metal.html