How does 'Create Folder' give its result?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 08:24:21 EST 2006

I have a path in a variable say myPath, and I execute

create folder myPath

sometimes the folder can't be created (if the directory is protected
etc) and if I execute the above in the message box in these
circumstances, I see the text

   can't create that directory

But if I do this by script, this text doesn't seem to be in 'the
result' or in 'it' (which appears to contain 'OK' even if the create
hasn't worked), so where is this text - ? The 2.7.0 docs (dictionary
and PDF) are silent on the matter. As 'create' is not a function, I
don't see any other way for it to return a value.

Clearly I can produce a workaround by checking if the folder exists
immediately after trying to create it, but how does 'create' show its
result"?

TIA

Graham