Making the move...

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Wed Mar 15 20:22:34 EST 2006

Dan,

Simple: "A method for outputting Java byte-codes equivalent to
MetaCard scripts has been designed, but implementation has been
delayed until the serious performance, compatibility, and
functionality limitations in Java have been rectified."
http://www.metacard.com/pi5.html

Then, you  can have a multiple export format, to java file, java
applet, standalone for mac windows, linux, exactly the way they do here:
http://www.processing.org/
On top, that's free. Their GUI is limited but that's only version
Beta. They announce a contribution from http://www.thbbpt.net/
interfascia/, to enhance their set of GUI elements. So you can expect
it to improve in the future. I really invite you to have a try,
that's a gem.

Alternatively, you can convert hypertalk to javascript: http://
lexnet.bravepages.com/HTMLJS.htm

Alternatively, you can convert it to a mix of xml and embedded
script, compatible with one of these:
http://luxor-xul.sourceforge.net/
http://www.simkin.co.uk/

Or you can write an hypertalk interpreter in java: http://
boredgamer.org/HyperJava/. There is another guy with a version a lot
more advanced than that (no, not freecard), but that's not on the web.

So many possibilities!

Marielle

> Richard.....
>
> I *certainly* don't disagree with your response, but I'm earnestly
> seeking a
> description of how you'd go about building an app in Rev that is
> entirely
> deliverable via a Web browser, which is, I submit, the definition
> of a Web
> application. I think that was the original point/question. Creating
> thin-client Web appliances is amazingly easy with Rev. Creating
> CGIs that
> run on a server -- including back-end database access -- is also
> feasible,
> if somewhat limited in terms of performance (no FCGI support as far
> as I
> know).
>
> If this is possible, I'd sure like to know how to do it.

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk,

Homepage