Making the move...

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Mar 15 16:32:12 EST 2006

And as long as MCRev web applications servers have been my best
incomes sources betwin 1997 and 200x, i just can add that Rev is,
before J2SE or PHP and behind Ruby on Rails, a real firstclass web
apps development platform. RoR is probably before Rev in about the
apps deployment framework and Rev is probably lots before RoR about
the development langage it self, at least in my humble mind because
the transcript xtalk structure, because the rev engine, both more
polished and able to let us design our web apps in less time than in
building them in Ruby coding.

A public accessible example app : <http://www2.sahores-conseil.com/
citalis.xml>

Some design, downloadable material and guildelines : <http://
istream.homeunix.com/insead/index_en.html>

:)

Le 15 mars 06 à 05:46, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>> Web applications in the sense Ruby on Rails defines them cannot be
>> written
>> in Revolution.
>
> Since that definition requires the Ruby language and that it be on
> "rails", nothing can satisfy it except Ruby on Rails.
>
> :)
>
> But DHTML (or AJAX* as the kids now call it) is just ASCII, and
> Transcript is unusually adept at parsing, concatenating, and merging
> text.  And behind the presentation layer a database is a database, and
> interfacing it is always only as graceful as the self-discipline of
> the
> developer, regardless of the language.  Frameworks are not a new
> invention, and certainly not unique to RoR.
>
> If the goal is to meet someone else's very specific definition of a
> development paradigm, sure, Transcript may not be able to do
> exactly that.
>
> But if the goal is to deliver the benefits of productive, flexible
> systems, Transcript can prove quite capable in ways that may surprise.
>
> Extra bonus points:  With Rev you have the option of moving beyond
> Web 2.0 as in <http://maps.google.com/>, and moving right up to Web
> 3.0 a la <http://earth.google.com/>. :)
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin