Not connecting to MySQL 5

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 05:40:26 EST 2006

OSX.4.5
Rev 2.6.1
MySQL 5.0.18 Standard
connect via localhost

Just upgraded MySQL from 4 to 5, which was a bit of a drag because the
download wasn't the usual install package (.dmg) but expanded out to a
normal folder filled with all the goodies. Took a while to figure out what I
had to do to move the folder where it needed to go.

Anyway, eventually got eveything up and running, I can start MySQL the usual
way using the Prefence Pane. I can connect to all my data using CocoaMySQL -
which confirms that MySQL 5.0.18 standard is running.

Unfortunately my stacks don't work. The result of:

put revOpenDatabase("MySQL",,"dbname","dbusr","usrpassword") into
gDatabaseID

is "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client"

The above function appears in an openstack handler after a bunch of other
stuff happens, but even if I just run the funcion in the message box I get
the same result.

Is Rev 2.6.1 incompatible with MySQL 5?

I checked revzilla and I didn't see anything there.

I notice also that Ken Ray was asking about MySQL 5 - did you eventually
upgrade to 5 and is it working for you?

Any advice appreciated.