Making the move...

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Mon Mar 13 14:16:09 EST 2006

On Mar 10, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Mvreade wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with Revolution for a few days and am VERY
> impressed with its capabilities and ease of use.
>
> I do however, have a few questions and reservations, which
> hopefully you guys can answer.
>
> I found it a bit buggy (using a iBook G4, 1G of memory, on OSX
> 10.4).  The property inspector went blank a few times, the
> application crashed once, the sample database query in the example
> solutions was updating records, demo videos weren't displaying, to
> mention a few.

After 10 years of developing applications in Director and Filemaker,
5 years of Flash & LiveStage Pro, a couple years of PHP/MySQL and
doing some thorough exploration and testing with RealBasic and Ruby
on Rails I plan to (try to) create most every project in Revolution
from here on out.

Bottom line: The ability to switch tools and instantly run the app
without any 'compiling' eliminates RealBasic, Java, C++ and many
other options for me. The superior Quicktime performance, card
paradigm and database implementation beats Director. The ease of
coding with Constellation beats Flash Studio. The ease of integrating
MySQL beats FileMaker. The interface consistency, speed and
reliability beats Ruby on Rails.

I have seen various descriptions of noobs like me as they travel
those first few wobbly steps- the "aha" factor, etc.

I think of as a kind of love/dismay relationship... Revolution in
many ways is so powerful and fast to produce results it lives up to
any hype you've heard. On the other hand the dev environment is buggy
(for me anyway), some commands just don't work or work in clearly
different ways than intended, sometimes I have to force quit (thanks
for Constellation autosave) but the final standalone product is rock-
solid- 3,000+ users of one app developed by Fourth World for us with
zero problems or problems- that's right folks, ZERO! Director
projects have always at best demonstrated scattered incompatibilities
with certain OS/QT combos and sometimes severe performance problems.

There is a 3rd party script editor called Constellation without
which, in my opinion, Revolution is barely usable in a professional
setting.

For a small user base, there is excellent support available on this
email list and on the websites of the major developers.

I am currently (attempting to) develop a system utilizing a remote
MySQL multiuser database (12 tables currently, will probably end up
at 20) and I'm amazed at well it's going whenever I have time to
devote to it. It's fast, reliable, solid and once you figure out what
works, it works every time.

I can now do in 10-15 minutes what it takes a Rails expert an hour or
more to do- and that's with a "framework" app!

I hope soon Rev gets Guy Kawasaki for Marketing VP and sells millions
of copies and is able to subsidize the hero pioneers efforts who
without which Rev would die a quick death, the Kens, Richards,
Jerrys, Jans, and so on, and fix all the bugs and make the wish list
come true... but until then, I will use it anyway!

> So the quesiton is, how good of an environment to work on is it?
>
> And how stable are the final applications?
>
> For users who have used Rev for databases, I was wondering what
> it's like to develop a system with, say, 20 tables and lots or
> relationships and methods?
>
> Where would one store all the methods?

I am currently storing functions, scripts and even data in fields on
a "data" card, it's great "seeing" your variables live!