Grouping inside Grouping not that robust

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Mar 12 04:19:15 EST 2006

Yes, this can become a bit of a challenge  to say the least.
Especially if you are also trying to get certain objects in some
groups to be at the top of the group.

Does anyone else wish there were another "group-layer" editing
strategy in Rev? as we have in photoshop? Imagine a palette which
only shows  groups. the default "layer" being the ungrouped objects
on the "bottom" of the card. Groups appear as layers in this palette,
and you could turn them  on and off move them up and down by
dragging. if you have a group selected in this palette, all object of
all groups and as well as the ungrouped  objects of the "default"
layer, show on screen, but effectively you are editing only objects
in that group and all other objects in other  groups are
unselectable, but visible. yet, you could take a selected object and
drag it from one  group to  another. And the object changes groups.
The Adobe model for this is close to perfect. I don't know if this is
one of those things that could be easily translated into the Rev
core...of if advance Rev usages of groups has some other  constraint
that makes  such a model unfit,  or if  it  would be some kind of
major re-engineering effort.  I'm not sure I understand  how having
groups inside  of groups is even useful, true  it is possible, but
what if every group were completely independent... would we lose
something? I suppose  the ability to place several groups all at
once, by placing a single group has  some utility?  this whole area
definitely needs a new paradigm or at least a pair of nickels... some
kind of upgrade.