Mac OSX, Spotlight, and Rev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 10 23:59:03 EST 2006

Troy Rollins wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Who wants their scripts indexed?
>>
>> And if someone wants a stack indexed, isn't the interest more likely
>> in having the content indexed?
>
> Bingo. Although being able to spotlight my scripts could ultimately be
> helpful, I was hoping it worked with content. That would make it a lot
> more interesting, at least for Mac specific tools, and even my own
> desktop stuff.

I've always thought of Spotlight in Rev as something that's most useful
not for developers, but for developers' customers.

It's dirt simple to make a script search tool for Rev in Rev.  And if I
need to search my own content it's only a little more time and that's
done too.

But my customers, they're the ones that need Spotlight support. They
don't program in Transcript, they can't get at data like we developers
can.  But they do enjoy Spotlight, and increasingly it plays a role in
how they think about the content on their drive.

I can understand adding Spotlight support for scripts, but only as the
second thing I'd do, long after making content indexed first.

Curious priorities, impenetrable to my weak mind....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal