copy from a locked, focusable fld under Windows

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 17:21:29 EST 2006

On 3/10/06 10:37 AM, "André.Bisseret" <Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr> wrote:

> Hi !
> I have fields that are set to "lock text", "focusable" and "auto hilite
> text".
> I want that users be able to select a part of text and to copy it in
> order to paste it elsewhere (for ex. in a Word document).
>
> All works well with Mac :
> 1 - draging or (clicking at the beginning of the text and
> shift-clicking at the end) >  the text is selected
> 2 then,  "Copy" in the "Edit" menu, or "Apple C" put the text into the
> clipboard.
>
> With Windows system, friends who are testing my app.  report that Ctrl
> C does not work.
>
> I tried a button "bCopy" ( do the name of me) with the following
> handler in the stack script :
> on bCopy
>    if there is no selection then
>     answer "Nothing selected"
>     exit bCopy
>   else
>     copy the selectedText
>     answer "Your selected text is in the clipboard"
>     end if
> end bCopy
>
> It works well on Mac but not on Windows.
>
> Any idea to get it on Windows
>
> Thanks a lot in advance

The work around I used a couple months ago was to let the Windows user click
the field which put the text in an unlocked field.  Definitely not a
standard interface, but the text was small values rather than paragraphs, so
the client actually liked the way it worked.  A refinement was that he could
click on successive terms/values and they would concatenate in the temp
field and could be copied in one step.

If you find a good solution, I would be interested.  My next client app will
likely need the feature you are describing.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas