Player object and memory

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Thu Mar 9 17:03:57 EST 2006

I think I solved the problem.  The issue comes from starting a player in
the playStopped handler.

I set up a group with the number of players needed to play all the sounds
and use the handlers as below (but since I had enough players, they didn't
need to load any new files) and it still hung up.  That indicated the start
player in the playStopped was the culprit.

I change the playStopped to send "StartPlayer" && ("Player" && tNextPlayer)
to me in 10 milliseconds, and I haven't been able to get it to hang.

I reduced the number of players to try interleaving them again, but setting
up the next file in the playStopped handler would delay the message to play
the next one, dragging out the sequence.

What I wound up with was doing a send "QueueNext" to sPlayerToSetup in 10
milliseconds in a startPlaying handler, so I could start the next sound
quickly, and then load the next sound safely while the current one is
playing.  If I didn't send in 10 milliseconds in the startPlaying, it would
still hang, but not as often.

The (QuickTime) player on Windows seems to be very timing sensitive.