2.7 bugs

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Mar 9 06:33:45 EST 2006

Hi,

  I've had to write some externals too for features that are not in
RunRev already. The point is that you found a work-around, however if
you have a bug at the "core" of RunRev there is no work-around except
to use a different development system. Also once you have written
your external all you have to do from them on is use it in all other
projects that require that feature, whereas if it's a bug in RunRev
then you have to remember that feature "X" does not work in all other
projects.

I've wasted days trying to make something work in RunRev that
according to the documentation should work just fine but because of a
bug it either didn't work at all or didn't work as published. Of
course I couldn't charge the client for that time either. In your
case this just happened to you with one client, not because of a bug,
but because a feature was not present,  which you could have found
out simply by asking RunRev "Is Anti-Aliased vector graphics
supported?". You could then build the time to code this as an
external into your quote. With a bug in RunRev you are dealing with
something that should work and that is documented to work but just
doesn't work. This (at least potentially) affects all developers in
all projects and causes a lot time to be waste as well as a lot of
hair pulling and grinding of teeth! If we added up all the hours lost
by all developers (as well as putting off newbies) because of bugs in
RunRev, I'm willing to bet that it would add up to a lot more than
the time you lost due to not having a feature added.

The difference is in control. With an unsupported feature, the
developer is in control, with bug the developer is NOT in control and
therefore in a much more frustrating position.

All the Best
Dave