Revolution vs Visual Basic

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Mar 8 14:20:01 EST 2006

Haltham,

another nice features of Rev that I don't find in the standard
computer languages out there are:

* Avoid the write-compile-debug cycle. Your stack is always ready,
your code too. Just change the tool and interact with it. If it
explodes, change the tool and fix it. This might appear silly at
first glance but this is one huge time saver. Using tradicional
languages you might end up building tons of buggy standalones as you
debug your app. With Rev things are just more productive. For
example, Rob had this huge 90mb stack that took some minutes to
build. If he had to build it everytime he wanted to test something,
he'd end up loosing time...

* Its easy to create custom tools to help you code. As you get more
used to us and this list, you'll see that many developers end up
building their own palletes and environment to suit their tastes.
It's not like ActiveX and VCL controls of windows. It's like simple
tools built with Rev to help you work the way you want to work. Scott
Rossi for example built some very nice alignment, gradient and color
tools to suit his taste. I have my own set of network tools. I never
saw VB developers building such tools as easy as we do here.

* Revolution is fun and powerfull. Revolution has some 'new' concepts
that tradicional coders might need to learn such as how stack works,
the message path, all about custom properties and other features. But
those features enable you to create very powerfull tools very fast.
The stacks being able to load and use other stacks across networks
make it very easy to share code and to work in groups, it also enable
you to create auto-update tools very easily. The message path that
allows you to dispatch and listen to messages making your code flow
in ways that C/C++ coders can't do and Custom Properties, your cool
way to store all kinds of things. I've seen pdfs, fonts, all packed
inside little props of buttons ready to being unpacked as needed or
copied to other stacks, it's not like other languages containers.
Custom Props are a way to tune an object to your tastes and allied to
the message path system allows you to build beautiful softwares that
are really easy to understand and mantain (which is always productive
wise).

* Oh, did we talked about cross platform yet? :-)

Cheers and welcome
Andre